Saturday 21 January 2012

A.J. Jacobs' year of living biblically



Author, philosopher, prankster and journalist A.J. Jacobs talks about the year he spent living biblically -- following the rules in the Bible as literally as possible.

"The third lesson I learnt was that thou shalt have reverence. This one was unexpected because I started the year as an agnostic, and by the end of the year I became what a friend of mine called a 'reverent agnostic' - which I love. (I'm trying to start it as a movement so if anyone wants to join...) The basic idea is that whether or not there's a God, there's something important and beautiful about the idea of sacredness. Our rituals can be sacred, the sabbath can be sacred..."

"Another lesson is that thou shalt give thanks. This one was a big lesson because I was praying, giving these prayers of thanksgiving - which was odd for an agnostic - but I was saying thanks all the time everyday. And I started to change my perspective, and I started to realise the hundreds of little things that go right every day that I didn't even notice, I took for granted, as opposed to focusing on the three or four that went wrong. So this is actually a key to happiness for me."

No comments:

Post a Comment